Pet Health Alert: Please read this before sharing human treats with your pet!

(Image 1)

  From time to time, many of us have given in to those pleading looks from our pets, and shared some tasty morsel of table food with our canine and feline friends.  We've heard about many food items that are toxic to our pets, especially chocolate, but now we're hearing that a healthy treat for humans–GRAPES AND RAISINS–could be lethal for your pets.

  Nancy Tabb Marcantel of Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) in St. Martin Parish forwarded us a health warning from Dr. Laurinda Morris, a veterinarian in Danville, Ohio.  Dr. Morris said one of her patients, a 56-pound, 5-year-old male neutered Lab mix, was brought to the pet ER, suffering from vomiting, diarrhea and shaking, several hours after eating half a canister of raisins.  Despite around the clock medical care, the Lab mix developed severe renal failure and had to eventually be euthanized.

  Here are words of warning directly from Dr. Morris:  “This is a very sad case, great dog, great owners who had no idea that raisins could be a toxin.  Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.  Poison Control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic.  Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as a treat.  Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.”

   Our thanks to Dr. Morris for alerting us to this potentially deadly threat.  Acadiana veterinarians say they feel this is yet another reason why owners should always remember that “people food is for people, and pet food is for pets.”  If you have any questions about what your should or shouldn't feed your pet, please contact your veterinarian for advice.

   If you know of a pet health threat, please let us know about it.  Send the information to brolfes@klfy.com and we'll pass it on to our TV10 web audience. 

blog comments powered by Disqus