Two Lafayette families are without a home. Their houses burned overnight while they slept inside.
Authorities are telling us all 9 people escaped unharmed.
The blaze started around 3:40 Sunday morning at a residence on the 300 block of Macklyn Street in Lafayette.
Fire officials say a car was parked underneath the carport when it caught fire.
The flames spread to the attic and the roof of the residence quickly leaving extensive damage.
Two adults and 3 children were inside the house at the time but got out uninjured.
But, that wasn't the end of it, the flames spread to their next door neighbor's house also leaving heavy damage to their roof.
Four people were inside that home and they too, escaped without injuries.
Officials believe the fire was accidental.