Fraudulent Payments Could Affect Customer Accounts
Lafayette, LA – Entergy is receiving numerous inquiries from customers concerning a scam that claims the president of the United States or the government is allowing credits or applying payments to customers' utility bills.
The scams have occurred throughout the company's service area, including Entergy Louisiana, LLC and Entergy Gulf States Louisiana, L.L.C. The company is taking actions to inform and protect customers.
“Scammers continue to target Entergy customers with messages that the president or the government will provide a credit or directly pay their utility bill,” said Liz Duhon, Customer Service Manager. “Scammers try to get our customers to reveal personal information that could be harmful.”
The scam calls for customers to make a payment by using a bank routing number supplied by the scammers. In some cases, customers are asked to use the number appearing on the back of their Social Security cards as the bank account number.
Payments made by Entergy Louisiana or Entergy Gulf States Louisiana customers using the scammers' method will not process correctly and the money will not be applied to their bills. Customers will still owe the amount shown on their bills for the utility services they have used.
“It is unfortunate that unscrupulous persons would plan such an activity that could harm our customers. But we are watching out for their welfare and taking action to inform them of the scammers' actions,” said Duhon. “We remind customers to not give their personal information to strangers and to use only authorized methods to pay their bills.”
Entergy provides a variety of methods for paying their bills including the following:
- Pay online – myAccount. For no additional charge, conveniently pay your bill online by electronic check. Log in securely to myAccount to view and pay your bills.
- Pay by phone – Pay your bill by credit card, debit card or electronic check by calling 1-800-584-1241. BillMatrix, our pay-by-phone provider, will charge a $2.95 service fee.
- Pay by credit/debit card – Pay your bill with a credit card, debit card or electronic check by phone (1-800-584-1241) or through the BillMatrix website, for a $2.95 service fee.
- Walk-in payment centers – Pay your bill in person with cash, check or money order at one of the authorized Quick Payment Centers in your community. A convenience fee may apply.
- Auto pay bank draft – Avoid late fees. Automatically deduct your bill payment from your checking account each month. We'll mail a monthly billing statement to you for your records, showing the bill amount and bank draft date.
- Pay by mail – Send check by U.S. Mail to the remittance address shown on your bill.
- Paper FREE – Get an email each month with your bill amount and due date. Pay by any method you wish: online at myAccount, in person, by mail, or with credit/debit card online or by phone through BillMatrix.
Customers who believe they are a victim of this scam can notify the proper authorities, such as the local police, the state attorney general's office, the Better Business Bureau or other agencies. If they believe their Entergy Louisiana or Entergy Gulf States Louisiana account has been affected, they should call 1‑800‑ENTERGY (1‑800‑368‑3749) to speak with a customer service representative.
Those who need assistance paying their bills can go to entergylouisiana.com to find a list of agencies that provide that service.
Entergy's Louisiana utility companies serve more than one million customers through the operating companies Entergy Louisiana, LLC and Entergy Gulf States Louisiana, L.L.C. With operations in southern, central and northeastern Louisiana, the companies are part of Entergy Corporation's electric system serving 2.8 million customers in Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Texas.