Fatal House Fire

At 2:36 this morning, Lafayette Fire Department responded to 99 Ambroise street after receiving a call from the owner concerning a small fire. When firefighters arrived, light smoke was coming from the dwelling.

The owner, Mr. Ervin McZeal, informed firefighters that his wife was in the dwelling. Fire officials entered the dwelling and found the deceased, Geneive McZeal (77), in her bedroom. Ms. Geneive McZeal died from the injuries sustained from the fire.

 The dwelling sustained minor smoke and fire damages.

Fire investigators determined that the fire likely started when the fire victim was lighting a cigarette or smoking. She wore a nasal cannula supplied by an oxygen machine. The flame ignited the oxygen from the cannula causing a flash fire. The cause of the fire was an accident.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s