NEW YORK (AP) — Twitter has redefined the way we communicate, get news and share tidbits of our lives. It has even been credited with starting a revolution or two. The company, based in San Francisco, announced Thursday that it intends to sell stock to the public for the first time. Naturally, it did it via a tweet. Here are some quick facts about Twitter in 140 characters or less, the limit of tweets.
– MT (at)Twitter We've confidentially submitted an S-1 to the SEC for a planned IPO.
– (hash)FunFact: In the first hour of (at)Twitter sending that IPO announcement tweet, 7,872 people retweeted the message.
– According to (at)APStylebook: “The verb is to tweet, tweeted. A Twitter message is known as a tweet.”
– The company was founded 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams. Their handles: (at)Jack, (at)Biz and (at)Ev
– First tweet by (at)Jack was “just setting up my twttr” on March 21, 2006, at 3:50 p.m.
– Dorsey went on to create (at)Square, a system for paying for coffee, goods through phones.
– Twitter soared to popularity in 2007 at the South By Southwest Interactive festival in Austin, Texas. (hash)sxswinteractive (hash)Austin (hash)BBQ
– Three years, two months and one day: The time it took from the first tweet to the billionth tweet. (hash)CoolStat
– Users on (at)Twitter: More than 200 million. (at)Facebook has 1.16 billion. That's nearly six times as many. (hash)QuickMath
– A billion tweets are sent every two and a half days. Put another way, that's three for every man, woman and child in the U.S. via (at)smfrogers
– The public offering comes at a time of heightened investor interest in the IPO market – 131 IPOs have priced so far this year.
– Is (at)Twitter trying to avoid (at)Facebook's May 2012 IPO (hash)fail? Well, company is keeping details secret for now. (hash)TwitterIPO
– The company hasn't said if it makes a profit or how much revenue it takes in. (hash)FadOrFuture? Wonder if (at)WarrenBuffett will buy stock.
– Most of Twitter's revenue comes from advertising. (at)eMarketer estimates $582.8 million this year, up from $288.3 million in 2012.
– Compare: In latest quarter, Facebook had $1.6 billion in ad revenue. By 2015, Twitter's annual ad revenue is expected to hit $1.3 billion.
– 2013 (hash)Superbowl performance by (at)Beyonce had 268 million tweets per minute, more than any other event in past two years.
– Not everybody on (at)Twitter is who they claim to be. (at)United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek has to put up with (at)FakeUnitedJeff
– Sometimes even missing zoo animals get their own Twitter accounts. And they can be funny. Just read (at)BronxZoosCobra
– Trying to find (hash)Religion? More than 500,000 people look no further than (at)Jesus who describes himself in Twitter as “Carpenter, Healer, God.”
– But 2.2 million (hash)HarryPotter fans follow (at)Lord-Voldemort7, The Dark Lord.