Tesla CEO says fire caused by impaled battery

(Image 1)

SEATTLE (AP) — The CEO of electric car company Tesla Motors Inc. says a vehicle that caught fire near Seattle this week was apparently impaled by a metal object.

Elon Musk wrote in a blog post Friday that fires are more common in conventional gas-powered vehicles and that it's safer to power a car with a battery.

Musk says a curved metal object that fell of a tractor-trailer was apparently to blame for the fire Tuesday. He says the object's shape led to a powerful hit on the underside of the Tesla Model S, punching a 3-inch hole through an armor plate that protects the bottom of the vehicle.

The company says the car properly contained the blaze. The driver was able to exit the highway in the Seattle suburb of Kent before flames engulfed the front of the vehicle.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s