Lafayette Parish school officials arrived on the campuses of J Wallace James, L J Alleman, Youngsville Middle, Comeaux High and WD and Mary Smith Career Center on Thursday morning, to surprise this year's teachers and principals of the year.
This year's parish winners for teachers of the year include elementary schools winner, Becky C. Cade, middle schools winner, Allison Bloomer, and high schools winner, Albert G. Marcel, Jr.
The teacher candidates and winning teachers fulfilled the following qualifications:
• Inspire students of diverse backgrounds and abilities to learn.
• Have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues.
• Play an active and useful role in the community, as well as in the school.
• Be poised, articulate, and possess the energy and enthusiasm to withstand a taxing schedule.
• Exhibit knowledge of education policy.
• Be able to write knowledgeably, succinctly, and fervently about education.
• Be affiliated with professional education organizations
The principal awards align with the Louisiana Principal of the Year Awards Program an annual event designed to recognize and honor outstanding leaders from each local school system throughout the state. The program provides an opportunity to focus attention on school leaders that support teachers in implementing rigorous instructional practices that are aligned to Compass and the Common Core State Standards.
This year's principals of the year are elementary schools, Dana Schmersahl, middle schools, Kathy Aloisio, and high schools winner, Joseph Craig.