At 9:09 last night, Milton, Youngsville, and Broussard Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a house fire in the 1700 block of East Milton Avenue. Milton Fire Chief, Damon Broussard, stated that heavy smoke was coming from the rear of the mobile home when they arrived. Firefighters from the three departments were able to get the fire under control within fifteen minutes.
The occupant informed firefighters that he was asleep when his smoke alarm began to beep. When he awoke, the mobile home was filling up with smoke. He opened the back door and noticed the rear porch on fire. He exited through the front door with his dog and called 911.
Lafayette fire investigators determined that the fire originated on the rear porch. The occupant was utilizing a heat lamp to protect his plants. The heat lamp likely shorted out causing combustibles to ignite. The mobile home sustained heavy fire damage.
The fire was ruled an accident.