Nearly a week after the start of a three-day wave of deadly terror attacks in France, authorities revealed new details about the weapons used in the attacks and how the gunmen were financed.
The search continued for at least six members of a suspected terror cell linked to the men who carried out the massacre which initiated the three-day nightmare. Seventeen people were killed, including 12 in an attack on satirical newspaperCharlie Hebdo‘s Paris office.
Here’s a look at the latest developments:
Official: Arms for Paris attacks came from abroad
The weapons used by a terror cell to kill 17 people around Paris came from outside the country and authorities are urgently tracing the source of the financing, a French police official said Tuesday.
Christophe Crepin, a French police union representative, said several people were being sought in relation to the “substantial” financing of the three gunmen, as well as others in their network. He said the weapons stockpile clearly came from abroad and the amount spent shows an organized network.
French police say as many as six members of the terrorist cell that carried out the Paris attacks may still be at large, including a man seen driving a car registered to the widow of one of the gunmen. The country has deployed 10,000 troops to protect sensitive sites, including Jewish schools and synagogues, mosques and travel hubs.
Victims laid to rest
The bodies of four Jewish victims of the attack on a Paris kosher supermarket were brought to Israel on Tuesday for a solemn funeral ceremony.
The four were among 17 people killed in a wave of terror attacks carried out over three days last week by militants claiming allegiance to al Qaeda and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other public figures were to attend the rites in Jerusalem for Yohan Cohen, Yoav Hattab, Francois-Michel Saada and Phillipe Braham, who died on Friday during a tense hostage standoff at the market on the eastern edge of Paris.
Gunman got cash from al Qaeda
French police believe the brothers who carried out the Charlie Hebdo attack on Wednesday and were killed two days later in a raid on a business northeast of Paris, were part of a cell of eight to 10 people with possible links to al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).
The French-Algerian brothers, Said and Cherif Kouachi, said they were members of the al Qaeda affiliate, based in Yemen, and the group released a video statement after the attacks claiming responsibility.
CBS News has learned that Said Kouachi returned from Yemen in 2011 with $20,000 from AQAP to finance the operation in Paris.
Defiant Charlie Hebdo discusses new cover
Charlie Hebdo’s defiant issue is in print, with a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad on the cover and a double-page spread claiming that more turned out Sunday to back the satirical weekly “than for Mass.”
The cover shows a weeping Muhammad, holding a sign saying “I am Charlie” with the words “All is forgiven” above him. Zineb El Rhazoui, a journalist with the newspaper, described the cover as meaning that the journalists were forgiving the extremists for the killings.
Renald Luzier, the cartoonist who drew the cover image and who is known by his pen name “Luz,” said it represents “just a little guy who’s crying.” Then he added, unapologetically, “Yes, it is Muhammad.”
Speaking at a news conference in Paris on Tuesdayat which he repeatedly broke down crying, he described weeping after he drew the picture.
One of Egypt’s top Islamic authorities on Tuesday warned Charlie Hebdo against publishing the new cartoon.
Egypt’s Dar al-Ifta, which is in charge of issuing religious edicts, called the planned cover an “unjustified provocation” for millions of Muslims who respect and love their prophet. It said the cartoon is likely to cause a new wave of hatred in French and Western societies.
Bulgaria arrests Frenchman linked to Paris attackers
Bulgarian authorities said Tuesday they have arrested a French citizen believed to have links to one of the Kouachi brothers.
Fritz-Joly Joachin, 29, was arrested under two European arrest warrants, one citing his alleged links to a terrorist organization, and a second for allegedly kidnapping his 3-year-old son and smuggling him out of the country, said Darina Slavova, regional prosecutor of the southern province of Haskovo.
Speaking on the private Nova TV channel, Slavova said the first warrant cited his possible association with one of the attackers, Cherif Kouachi.
Hunt for Paris gunman’s girlfriend
Hayat Boumeddiene, the common-law wife of the man who killed the hostages inside the Jewish grocery store, managed to travel from Paris to Madrid and thenon to Turkey without raising any alarm before crossing the border into Syria.
She was listed on an arrest warrant along with her partner, Amedy Coulibaly, the day before he was killed in the police raid on the grocery store, but Turkish officials say they were not warned she was a potential danger by anyone in France or Spain before she landed on Jan. 2 in Istanbul.
As CBS News’ Holly Williams reported Tuesday, Boumeddiene wasn’t traveling alone. In surveillance video from the airport in Istanbul, you can see a man who Turkish officials have identified as 23-year-old Mahdi Sabri Belhoucine, another French citizen. His role in the attacks in France, if he had one, remained a mystery Tuesday morning.
Turkish authorities believe after arriving in Istanbul, Boumedienne stayed two nights in a hotel. After she left Istanbul, Boumedienne spent four days in another city close to the Syrian border before crossing into the war zone on Thursday — the same day Coulibaly fatally shot a policewoman on the southern edge of Paris — according to Turkish officials.