Unsealed files in the murder case against Seth Fontenot reveal allegations of drug use and drug dealing along with text messages by Fontenot about getting into fights and buying a gun.
Fontenot, 20, is accused of firing three shots at a pickup truck in front of his Lafayette home in February 2013, supposedly in the belief that the truck’s occupants had tried to break into his truck.
One of the shots struck and killed Austin Rivault, 15. Two others in the truck, William Bellamy and Cole Kelley, both 15 at the time, were wounded but survived.
Many of the files in the case had been sealed. Most were unsealed this week on the order of a visiting judge.
Some of the details revealed in the unsealed files include:
• Photos submitted to police by “concerned citizens” showing Fontenot allegedly posing in a reckless manner with a handgun.
• A photo of Fontenot allegedly posing with an infant and holding a Baretta 92F handgun, the same gun used in the crime, with the magazine in it.
• Text messages from Fontenot’s mobile phone on Dec. 14, 2012, where he discusses his truck being broken into several times. Fontenot allegedly wrote, “I’m gonna shoot them next time. I sleep with my gun now. I almost had em!” When his friend expressed concern, Fontenot said he wasn’t going to mess up and go to jail because he wants to go to law school.
• Text messages with a friend discussing how many Adderal pills Fontenot could give him. Adderall is an amphetamine prescribed for ADHD and narcolepsy. Fontenot’s attorney, Thomas Guilbeau, of Lafayette, said in a court hearing transcript that Fontenot had a prescription for the drug.
• A Dec. 26, 2012, text message where Fontenot alleged someone broke into his truck about three months earlier, tried to break into the truck two weeks prior and egged it recently.
• Another Dec. 26, 2012, text message where Fontenot, after being asked if he would really shoot someone, responded, “If I caught them breaking into my truck, probably so. I’d deff shoot their vehicle!”
Fontenot’s trial on charges of one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder is set to begin March 16.
Check back this weekend for additional details from the Seth Fontenot files.
For more stories from our media partners at the Advertiser click here.