Mother headed for N.O. arrested when 2-year-old dies in her care

Photo: USA Today

ATLANTA — Atlanta Police have filed charges against the mother of a 2-year-old girl who died after a Greyhound bus trip.

The child and her mother, 19-year-old Alexis Washington, were traveling by Greyhound bus from Greenville, S.C., to New Orleans early Tuesday, police said. The bus had a scheduled stop in Atlanta.

According to the police report, Washington missed her connecting bus and decided to walk around the city. She then got a ride back to the bus station from a police officer. While at the station, she noticed her daughter was unresponsive. She then took the child outside to cool her off. As she was walking back to the bus station, she saw that the child was still unresponsive. She then tried CPR.

Instead of calling 911, police said Washington chose to walk to the hospital even though she wasn’t familiar with the area.

Two women saw Washington holding the child and crying on the Peters Street bridge at around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. Washington told them her child was “cold,” according to Atlanta Police Capt. Terrell Griffin. One of the women called police after speaking with Washington.

The baby was pronounced dead upon arrival at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding. A medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

On Wednesday, police said that Washington was charged with reckless conduct and cruelty to children in the second degree.

11Alive has learned that the Pitt County, N.C. Department of Social Services had an open case on the family. No other details were available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s