BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – A 58-year-old Baton Rouge man has died after he rushed back into his burning house to fight a fire that authorities say was started by a child playing with a lighter.
East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner Dr. Beau Clark tells local media that Martin Osigwe died Monday night of carbon monoxide toxicity.
Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte says investigators found Osigwe dead in a bedroom. Authorities believe Osigwe attempted to extinguish the fire by throwing buckets of water on the flames. Four other people in the home were able to escape uninjured.
Monte says the fire was started by one of the three children who was playing with a lighter on a bed. He says the child, who is no older than 10 years old, will not be charged.
(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)