Two injured by smoke inhalation in Lafayette house fire

Photo Credit: MGN

Two people received treatment for smoke inhalation Wednesday night after they entered their neighbors’ house in an attempt to rescue them from a fire, the fire department says.

The Lafayette Fire Department responded to a reports of a house fire on the 100 block of Edna Street at around 8 p.m. Wednesday. Heavy smoke was coming from the interior of the home when they arrived, and two people were reportedly experiencing symptoms of smoke inhalation.

Firefighters learned that the two were neighbors who entered the home, fearing that there were children inside, but were forced to leave due to the heavy smoke. The house occupants had left 30 minutes before the fire began, Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan said in a press release.

The two neighbors were transported to local hospitals as a precaution.

The fire was contained to the kitchen and out within 10 minutes. The interior of the house sustained moderate fire damage in the kitchen, and smoke damage throughout. Firefighters determined that the fire began when a pot of grease ignited on one of the burners on the stove. The burner was apparently left on.

The fire was ruled as an accident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s