LSP: Gun not found in vehicle after officer-involved shooting that killed 6-year-old

Mobile App Users Click Here To Watch Replay Of News Conference

MARKSVILLE, LA (WAFB) – During the 2 p.m. news conference, Louisiana State Police Col. Mike Edmonson said no gun was found in the vehicle involved in the shooting that resulted in the death of a 6-year-old boy.

The victim of the shooting was identified as Jeremy Mardis. Officials say Jeremy was shot five times during the incident.

Dr. L.J. Mayeux, coroner of Avoyelles Parish, said the father of the victim, Chris Few, had warrants out for his arrest. Ward 2 City Marshal deputies reportedly spotted Few’s vehicle on Washington Street and instead of pulling over, Few led deputies on a chase through Marksville, finally turning down Martin Luther King Drive, which is a dead end street.

Mayeux added Few backed into the marshal’s vehicle several times and would not get out and that is when the gunfire erupted.

At last report, Few was listed in critical condition.

During the initial investigation, the Marksville Police Chief stated there were four officers involved. Two of them worked full time for the Marksville Police Department, one worked as a Reserve Officer for the Marksville Police Department, the fourth officer worked for the Alexandria City Marshals Office. Three of the officers were moonlighting as Ward 2 City Marshals, a fourth officer was called in as backup with the Marksville Police Department.

According to Col. Edmonson, officers involved in any officer-involved shooting are given a “day or two to rest and get sleep” before being interviewed for the investigation. As of 2:45 p.m., the officers involved had not been interviewed.

The officers are not on leave at this time, but LSP officials recommends the officers be placed on administrative leave, “but it will be up to the chief.” The names of the officers have not been released.

Col. Edmonson says the Louisiana State Police was contacted shortly after the shooting happened. For the first 12 to 15 hours, investigators were in a forensic stand mode.

Investigators say are reviewing at least one piece of video that shows part of the gunfire. A source tells WAFB 9News that video is from a police body camera one of the officers was wearing.

Jeremy Mardis was a first grader at Lafarue Elementary School in Effie.

The investigation is ongoing.

*Video of press conference courtesy KALB

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s