Residents of the parishes hit by severe weather are advised that the Louisiana Department of Insurance can help answer any questions they may have about filing claims with their property insurance for damage related to the recent storms.
Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon is advising residents to:
- Call your insurance company or agent as soon as possible. If the lines are busy, as is often the case following a disaster, keep trying. If possible, have your policy number and an initial assessment of the damage ready.
- Read your policy. Even if you have full coverage, you still have obligations to mitigate your damages such as putting a tarp on your roof and boarding up broken windows.
- Keep receipts for any necessary inspections or repairs you make. These expenses may be reimbursable under your policy. Also when assessing the damage, take photographs.
- Make sure you give your agent/company telephone numbers where you can be reached. Many times you won’t be at the number listed on the policy.
- When an adjuster visits your property, make sure you ask for identification.You can call the Louisiana Department of Insurance or visit our website to verify his/her licensure.
Consumers can also contact the LDI with questions or file a complaint by calling 1-800-259-5300 or visiting www.ldi.la.gov.