Home receives heavy smoke damage after cigarette starts fire

Photo: Lafayette Fire Department

LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) — Firefighters say a home has received moderate smoke damage after an “improperly discarded” cigarette ignited a mattress.

The fire started around 1:17 this afternoon in the 1100 block of Madeline Avenue. A neighbor called 911 after spotting heavy smoke coming out of the house.

Fire department spokesperson Alton Trahan crews were able to quickly extinguish the small fire that started in a back bedroom.

No one was home at the time of the fire. Trahan also said there were no reported injuries.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s