LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY) – Firefighters responded to a house fire early Wednesday morning in Lafayette.
It happened at 6:18 a.m. at the 900 block of St. Charles Street.
Upon arrival, fire crews found heavy smoke coming from a window on the side of the home.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire in twenty minutes, but the kitchen suffered heavy fire damage and the house suffered heavy smoke damage throughout.
According to Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department, two occupants were sleeping inside the home when the fire broke.
They were awoken by the smell of smoke and were able to get out safely.
Trahan says there were no smoke detectors in the home.
American Red Cross was notified to assist the occupants.