Lafayette Fire Department extinguishes residential fire on Cajundome Blvd.

Photo: KLFY

LAFAYETTE, La. (KLFY)– The Lafayette Fire Department and Lafayette Police Department responded to a house fire earlier this morning on Cajundome Blvd in Lafayette.

According to a news release Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire at 1005 Cajundome Boulevard around 10:30 a.m. this morning, extinguishing the flames within twenty minutes. The occupant of the home, Stephen Pollock, was outside when firefighters arrived, Pollock sustained minor injuries while attempting to put the fire out.

Alton Trahan with the Lafayette Fire Department tells KLFY that when firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the home. Firefighters entered the dwelling, they discovered heavy flames coming from a bedroom.

Officials tell News 10, the American Red  was called to assist the occupant who lost, “Practically everything” in the fire.

Trahan says fire investigators determined the fire originated in the bedroom and the heat source was a cigarette lighter. He added the occupant was utilizing the lighter and accidentally caught the mattress on fire.

Officials tell News 10 the fire was ruled an accident.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s