LAFAYETTE, La. (KFLY)— Firefighters responded to a residential fire in Lafayette this morning, authorities said.
The firefighters responded to the 100 block of Horeshoe Drive after a resident of one of the condos smelled smoke while walking on the sidewalk.
Firefighters said when they arrived the windows of the two-story condo was filled with thick soot.
According to a news release, a fire was discovered in the kitchen as firefighters made their way into the condo.
The condo sustained heavy fire damage in the kitchen and moderate smoke damage throughout.
Authorities said the condo was not occupied due to the recent flooding.
Investigators are saying the fire originated on a stove in the kitchen, and the cause was determined to be an accident.