Coushatta, LA – The State Fire Marshals office is investigating the circumstances surrounding an early morning house fire that claimed the life of a Coushatta woman.
Fire crews responded to 1908 Abney Street in Coushatta after receiving a report of a house fire just before 2:00 a.m. Saturday.
Upon arrival, they observed the home engulfed in flames.
After the fire was extinguished and while combing through the burned-out house, firefighters located the body of 58-year-old Luella Taylor in a portion of the home that had collapsed.
Neighbors reported to investigators that Taylor was observed warming herself near a trash fire outside of the structure the day prior to the fire.
Later that night, they say, she was observed inside the home, which had no electrical service, using candles for illumination and possible heating.
While no official cause of the fire has been determined, investigators established that the fire originated in the kitchen area of the wood-framed home, which had no working smoke alarms.
The investigation is on-going.