SCOTT, La. (KLFY) – Firefighters responded to a commercial fire at the Ile Des Cannes Apartment Complex on Sweetbriar Street at 8:11 p.m. Monday evening.
Upon arrival crews found heavy smoke coming from the front door of a downstairs apartment.
Firefighters were able to remove the resident from the apartment and quickly contain the fire that emanated from the kitchen.
The resident and a another tenant living above the apartment were transported to a local hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Both are expected to make full recoveries.
The kitchen of the apartment suffered heavy fire damage, while the rest of the unit suffered moderate smoke and heat damage.
The remaining three apartments suffered minimal smoke damage.
Scott Fire Chief Chad Sonnier says the fire has been ruled accidental after an investigation revealed that the resident began cooking and left a burner on while they went to the store.
No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze.