BERWICK, La. (KLFY)— A traffic stop leads to the arrests of two men after deputies located several firearms and narcotics in a vehicle along with two children, officials said.
According to a news release, on Nov. 18 deputies with the St. Mary Parish Sheriff’s Office working criminal patrol on HWY 90 observed a vehicle fail to signal a lane change and proceeded to conduct a traffic stop in Berwick, La.
Deputies said during the stop they found that the driver, Joshua S. Miller, 20, of Berwick La. was driving the vehicle under a suspended license. In the vehicle were two children and a passenger who was identified as Raymundo K. Pizano-Montes, 32, of Bayou Vista, La.
Deputies said after speaking with the man, they received consent to search the vehicle. During the search, authorities said a small sheet of LSD, commonly referred to as “Acid” was located. Authorities estimate the street value of the sheet at $8,000.
Deputies also said they located Xanax pills, marijuana, a dozen firearms and $14,500 in cash suspected of being derived from illicit drug sales.
An investigation lead by detectives with the Narcotics Section was conducted into the drugs and weapons. According to detectives, evidence was found that the firearms were being transported to be sold out-of-state and that two of the weapons were reported stolen.
Narcotics detectives disseminated case information to U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives who will continue the investigation.
The driver, Miller was arrested at 7:12 a.m. for failure to signal and driving with a suspended license. Miller’s passenger, Pizano-Montes, was arrested shortly after at 8:59 a.m. for the following offenses:
- Possession of schedule I (lysergic acid diethylamide) with intent to distribute
- Possession of schedule I (marijuana) with intent to distribute
- Possession of schedule IV (Xanax) with intent to distribute
- 2 counts possession of stolen firearms Illegal carrying of weapons
- Possession of controlled dangerous substance in the presence of a juvenile
- Possession of a firearm in the presence of a controlled dangerous substance
- Transactions involving proceeds from drug offenses Possession of drug paraphernalia