6-year-old playing with lighter starts fire at Lafayette motel

The following is a news release from the Lafayette Fire Department: 

At 9:57 a.m. Monday, Lafayette firefighters responded to the Super 8 Motel at 2224 NE Evangeline Thruway for a mattress fire in a room on the second floor.

When firefighters arrived, the sprinkler system had activated and extinguished the fire. Moderate smoke was still in the hotel room. Firefighters used equipment to exhaust the smoke from the room and area adjacent. The water for the sprinkler system seeped down to the lower floor and caused water damage to lobby area underneath. No other rooms were affected.

Fire officials determined the fire was started by a 6-year-old who was playing with a lighter and ignited the mattress. No injuries were reported.

The fire was ruled an accident.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s