Authorities arrest man after barricading himself inside Jeanerette home

Photo Credit: Karaski Melvin/KLFY

(UPDATE) JEANERETTE, La. (KLFY) – After a standoff lasting several hours, officials have arrested a Jeanerette man who is wanted on several warrants. Officials have identified him as 33-year-old Tony Penns. They said Penns ran inside of a home.

The standoff happened in the 300 block of Guillote Road in Jeanerette.

Officials said the swat team raided this home twice, breaking windows and using tear gas, before apprehending Penns. They believed he was armed and dangerous.

Iberia Parish Sherriff’s Captain Wendell Raborn says Penns originally ran from law enforcement after a traffic stop.

“It was a short vehicle pursuit before the driver pulled over. Of course the Marshall chased him on foot once he bailed out of the car,” Raborn said.

Officials said Penns ran to his cousin Rayshelle William’s home. She along with her family was home at the time of the standoff.

“They had guns in my face. I woke up they had guns in my face. They sprayed so much tear gas we can’t run from the porch,” Williams said.

the Jeanerette Marshall’s Office, Jeanerette Police and the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office were all on scene. Raborn said officials believed Penns was armed with a handgun.

“They tried several tactics, negotiations without any success. They ended up deploying chemical agents into the house trying to get him to come out,” Raborn said.

Many neighbors crowded around the scene with lots of shouting, saying law enforcement was being too forceful. Penn

However marshall’s deputies said they did not beat him, Penns was not cooperating. Raborn said the crowds surrounding the scene were problematic.

“For all the rubber neckers and gawkers out here I say shame on you because there’s lives in danger. They’re out here. We’ve told them there’s a possibility gunshots could be exchanged,” Raborn said.

For now authorities have blocked off the home as the case still remains under investigation.

According to Raborn, Penns’ charges include aggravated flight and illegal discharge of a firearm.

(ORIGINAL) JEANERETTE, La. (KLFY) – Authorities have arrested a man who barricaded himself inside a house for several hours after a vehicle pursuit with police.

Captain Wendell Raborn, a spokesperson for the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office, said Jeanerette Marshals attempted to stop, Tony Penns, 30, of Jeanerette, who was wanted on previous warrants.

Penns took the marshals on a brief vehicle pursuit before barricading himself inside a home in the 500 block of Guillotte Street.

Authorities with the Jeanerette Marshal’s Office and Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office surrounded the house in the early afternoon.

Penns was captured by authorities shortly before 3:30 p.m.

This is a developing news story and KLFY will have more information when it becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s