Space heater causes fire that destroys home on Carmel Drive

(Lafayette Fire Department)

LAFAYETTE, La.(KLFY)- The Lafayette Fire Department is investigating a house fire at the corner of 12 Street and Carmel Drive.

According to LFD spokesman Alton Trahan, the occupants, couple and their three teenage boys, were inside the home when it caught fire.

No one was injured.

When firefighters arrived, heavy flames were coming from several windows. Firefighters entered the house and located the fire in a back bedroom, Trahan said.

The blaze was extinguished within fifteen minutes, however the home was destroyed.

Fire officials determined that fire originated at the foot of the bed. A space heater was in the area of origin, investigators said, and it is believed to have caught the bedding on fire.

The fire was ruled an accident.

The Lafayette Fire Department advises extreme caution when using space heaters.

  • Plug directly in the wall.
  • Give then at least three feet of space.
  • Do not utilize extension cords.
  • Always turn heaters off when not in the room.

 

(Photo credit: Tyrone Glover)

No one was injured, he said.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s