Mother dies, daughter and grandson injured in early morning fire

LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP) – Investigators say combustible items placed too close to a wood stove ignited, causing a fire that resulted in the death of a Lake Charles woman and injuries to her daughter and grandson.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says investigators responded shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday. Investigators say Melancon had filled the stove with wood before retiring Friday night.

Authorities explain that it’s believed that extra wood pieces were placed too close to the stove and ignited. The home had no working smoke alarms.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s